Pages

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Mixed Media - Purple Fish


Not so long ago I updated my girls bathroom, I found an old fish themed shower curtain that was like new and figured the girls would like.   Once I got the bathroom set up I went looking for some co-ordinating artwork for the wall.   After looking at a number of stores and finding nothing I decided to create my own!  

At the Stampin' Up Convention Carrie Cudney created these wonderful little Halloween Mixed Media canvases.   I used her work for inspiration.



 How did I do that?
I started with a canvas that was 16 x 20
and added DSP with modge podge.  I really pasted it down and covered it with modge.  I then painted it with acrylic paints in the colours that I wanted.  I used colours similar to Eggplant, Bermuda and Daffodil. These are the colours in the bathroom shower curtain.

Once I had the paint the way I wanted it I added Dazzling Diamonds while the paint was still wet.  I then used a cricut to cut out a fish.  I ran parts of the fish through the Big Shot with the Fancy Fan Embossing folder to look like scales.   I then glued him down with sticky strip and modge podge.  I spritzed him with shimmer paint and outlined him with a Black Marker (next time I will use a Sharpie as this marker smudged  when I added the final layer of Modge).  Finally I added Large Rhinestones for bubbles and one for the eye, some seaweed cut from the cricut and Modged the whole thing!!

It looks great in my girls bathroom and they both love it!

I learned a lot in the process of this, some things I would do differently, such as the outline of the fish and some things I loved, such as the textures and embellishments.

Let me know what you think and if you have tried Mixed Media I would love to hear your tips and tricks or see your project!

Don't forget Stampin' Up is having it's big Holiday Sale right now!  There are some great deals and you don't have to stand in line to shop!  Check out my Online Store.

Holiday Sale


There are New Weekly Deals out today Also...
Weekly Deals

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments they mean the world to me. Have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...